Wildlife Hospital Back in Action After the Floods

Last updated: January 23, 2013

Leave a Comment

The wildlife Hospital is back in action again after the floods. There are still some items that we need so if you are able to donate any of the following please contact us at wildlife@rspcaqld.org.au for more details:

  • 3 x Digital kitchen scales – for weighing smaller patients
  • 4 x walkie talkies – for staff communication
  • Small radio – for the wildlife ward to drown out the noise of barking dogs
  • Medium and large bird cages and aviaries – for housing pet birds
  • Ceramic dishes and hanging bird bowls – for feeding the patients
  • A road worthy car! – for releasing recovered patients, reuniting baby birds, collecting injured animals and transporting babies to carers.

Here are some of the wildlife currently staying with us in the RSPCA Wildlife Ward:

Igor the Intermediate Egret

Igor is a fledgling egret that ‘fell’ from the sky near the big lake at Forest Lake. He was brought to the wildlife hospital by a concerned member of the public for the wildlife team to assess. Igor was found to have botulism. We see botulism in many water birds from ducks and herons to ibis. It is a paralysing toxin that slowly kills birds if ingested. Little Igor is recovering but is still wonky on his feet. After a few more days of supportive care he will be able to be reunited with his parents.

Otto the Baby Blue Tongue Lizard

Poor little Otto was run over by a wheelie bin as he basked in the sun at Regents Park. Otto almost got out of the way but his front leg got squashed. The wildlife team could not manage to save to the mangled leg and he has undergone surgery to remove the damaged limb. Otto is very feisty and recovering well, He has learned to get around fine as a 3 legged lizard. His stitches are due out today and he will be making his way back home this weekend.

Tock the Black Flying Fox

Most native animals are not affected by paralysis ticks but flying foxes are an exception. Tock picked up a tick as he was feeding low in down in shrubs and bushes. He was finally found on the ground in Bardon unable to use his legs, struggling to breathe and with the tick firmly attached to his chest. The wildlife team removed the tick and administered the tick antiserum used for dogs. We then tucked him into bed and crossed our fingers that the drugs would work. After a few days he started to show signs of improvement and was attempting to hang. He has since been sent to a wildlife rehabilitator and is in the final stages of release.


Have your say! Leave us a comment:

You must be logged in to post a comment.