Wildlife Hospital Flood Survivors

Last updated: January 23, 2013

Leave a Comment

Maggie the Eastern Grey Kangaroo

Maggie has had a hard life so far – her mum was hit by a car and didn’t survive, luckily someone stopped to check her mum’s pouch and found Maggie inside unharmed. She was taken into care and ended up with a wonderful roo rehabilitator in Brisbane. Somehow a few weeks ago in all the rain Maggie slipped as she hopped and fell awkwardly on her tail and it broke. As you can imagine a kangaroos tail is very important to them even just to get around. Maggie was brought to the RSPCA wildlife hospital where she was given pain relief and a bright red cast was placed on her tail to splint it. We made sure to write lots of well wishes on it so she knew we were thinking about her. A few days later Maggie started to get diarrhoea and tests confirmed that the stress of breaking her tail had made her susceptible to bacteria and parasites. She has since had a few medications and is back on the right track with her tail healing well. She will have a few more bandage changes over the next few weeks and will soon be heading off to a release site with her other bouncy friends.

two kangaroos recover and eat some grass at the rspca wildlife ward during the qld floods in 2011

Jingo, Ringo, Gringo, Bingo And Fred

Wow, we have been inundated with rainbow lorikeets! When there is significant rain events the nectar gets washed out of all the flowers and so the animals that rely on these for food go hungry and become weak and disorientated. These 5 lorikeets spent a week or so recuperating in the wildlife hospital and boy did they pig out on food! They have since been moved to an aviary at a wildlife rehabilitators house to gain more flight strength before being released back to the wild.

a group of lorikeets gets a feed at the rspca qld wildlife ward

Harold the Magpie

Harold came to us from Rocklea a few days after the flood. He was completely covered in a thick layer of oil and was walking around the streets catching worms as best he could. The area he was found in was completely under water for days so we have no idea how he survived or managed to get so coated. He was brought to the wildlife hospital after being rescued by the RSPCA rescue unit. He has had several baths in mild detergent to try to remove the bulk of the oil but not damage the natural oils that keep him waterproof. He still has a few baths to go to get back to his normal self but his appetite is veracious so we think he will make a full recovery.

a completely soaked magpie recovers at the rspca qld wildlife ward


Have your say! Leave us a comment:

You must be logged in to post a comment.