For your budgie to be healthy and happy it is important to provide the correct amount of each type of food and to provide lots of variety.
- 60% of a bird’s diet should be grain. This is only for seed eating birds such as budgies. Grain includes birdseed, cooked rice, seedling grasses, and wholemeal bread and pasta.
- 10-20% of your bird’s diet should be fresh vegetables. Some good things to try would be spinach, parsley, peas, carrots, silver beet, celery, cabbage, broccoli, cooked pumpkin and sweet potato.
- 5% of his diet should be fruits. Some healthy examples are apple, rockmelon and apricot.
Some tips for keeping your budgie healthy:
- Remember to provide fresh water every day and to clean your budgies food bowls daily as well.
- Older food should be thrown out instead of putting fresh food on top.
- When you are visiting our vet next time be sure to ask them for more healthy food ideas for your budgie.
- Do not feed your bird only sunflower seeds. This will make him very sick and fat!
- Please do not feed your bird avocado, coffee or chocolate as these, among other things, are very toxic for birds.
You can learn more about feeding and caring for your budgie at the following links:
Thanks for your great question and have fun with your budgie!
Bethany’s Drawing of an Echidna
Photo credit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alykoby/3226395907/